Four PIA Western Alliance states — Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Nevada — are in the top-10 most popular places to relocate in the United States. In its annual migration survey, movers Allied Van Lines say two regions in the U.S. were “the” places to move to in the U.S. in 2017. The two are the Mountain and Pacific West.
Allied has been doing this survey for 40-years and has become expert at where people move to and from and at why they are moving. For insurance agents and companies knowing where people are going and why is good information and will help you provide better service to your clients.
Michael Stoll of the Department of Public Policy at the University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) agrees the movers are definitely movers and shakers when it comes to moving. “This year’s data reflects longer-term trends of movement to the western and southern states, especially to those where housing costs are relatively lower, climates are more temperate and job growth has been at or above the national average, among other factors. We’re also seeing continued migration to the Pacific Northwest and Mountain West as young professionals and retirees leave California,” he said.
Here’s a breakdown:
• Allied Van Lines says a state gets high inbound scores if the number of people moving to the state is 55% of the state’s total moves
• The high outbound score is arrived at if the number of people moving out of the state is 55% of the state’s total moves
• Balanced means it’s about half and half
• Retirees find the Mountain West to be the most popular with one in four moving there
• The Midwest hits 61%
• The Pacific West 59%
These are the top-10 states people moved to in 2017 (the PIA Western Alliance states are in bold):
8. North Carolina
7. South Carolina
6. Washington — 59% of moves came from out of state in 2017
5. South Dakota
4. Nevada — 61% of moves came from out of state in 2017
3. Idaho — 63% in Idaho came from out of state in 2017
2. Oregon — 65% in Oregon came from out of state in 2017
1. Vermont — 68% of moves in Vermont came from out of state in 2017
Source link: PropertyCasualty360.com